Parents have enormous effect on their child’s progress. By showing your interest in the process and by being part of the child’s practice at home parents can make a major contribution into their child’s’ development and progress.
Here are some ideas for parents how to get involved and show your support:
- Ask questions about their goals and tasks for this year/month/week
- Ask the child to play for you a new piece recently learned
- If the child reports difficulty dealing with homework, please discuss what strategies have been used in the past to deal with similar issues. If necessarily, don’t hesitate to reach out to the music instructor for advice
- Encourage the child to do quality and not quantity practice. Some weeks the child will be able to accomplish things in less time, some weeks more daily practice time is needed. Practicing is about outcome, not the time spent playing
- Design practice time on the child’s schedule